Saturday of each Regional Tournament is “Seeding Day,” where each participant plays 7 seeding games against 7 different opponents and in accordance with the following rules:
- Games will be played half court to 7 points or the expiration of a 10-minute running game clock, whichever occurs first, with made baskets inside the 3-point line counting as 1 point and made baskets beyond the 3-point line counting as 2 points.
- There will be a 12-second possession clock. After 12 seconds, possession changes, even if the offensive player has attempted a shot and gets an offensive rebound.
- After a made basket or dead-ball change of possession (e.g., offensive foul), the other player gets possession.
- All fouls result in a reset of the possession until a player has committed 3 fouls. Beginning with a player’s 4th foul, if a player commits a defensive foul, the offensive player gets a 1-point free throw, regardless of whether the foul is committed while the offensive player is in the act of shooting.
- Each player has one 1-minute timeout per game.
- An offensive player may not back down the defensive player for more than 3 consecutive seconds, and any such violation will result in a change of possession.
Following the completion of Seeding Day, the top 8 players are seeded from #1 (best) through #8 (eighth best) based on wins. If two or more players have the same number of wins, the following tiebreakers are employed in descending order until the tie is broken:
- Total points differential across the 7 seeding games (e.g., if a player wins a seeding game 7-5, the point differential for such seeding game is +2).
- Total points scored across the 7 seeding games.
- Total points allowed across the 7 seeding games (with the player that allowed fewer points winning the tie).
Sunday of each Regional Tournament is “Tournament Day” ( or “Showcase Sunday”). The top 8 players from Saturday play in a three-round single elimination tournament, with 1st place winning $10,000 and the top 3 receiving invites to the OBL Finals in Las Vegas. The rules on Tournament Day are the same as on Seeding Day, except that:
- All games will be played until 9 points.
- A free throw is granted beginning with a player’s 5th foul (rather than 4th foul).
- If it is game point and a foul results in a free throw attempt being granted to a player, the player must make 2 consecutive free throws to be awarded the game-winning point, with a missed free throw resulting in a change of possession and no award of the game-winning point.